Parental Alienation Syndrome: Understanding and Addressing Its Impact

Parental Alienation Syndrome: Understanding and Addressing Its Impact

If you believe that your ex is alienating your children, you may not know what to do next. As your children and your relationship with them suffer, many parents feel powerless to stop this alienation and isolation from occurring. Fortunately, the law is on your side. Parental alienation is not ok, and courts will uphold your parenting rights.

In Texas, the courts look unfavorably at any parent engaging in parental alienation. Family courts always consider the child’s best interests when deciding custody and parenting. If you believe that your ex is alienating your children from you through manipulation, threats, or isolation, you need a Houston family law attorney to help you fight back. Our attorneys can assist in navigating the legal system to address PAS and better protect your child’s interests.

Understanding Parental Alienation Syndrome

Parental alienation syndrome (PAS) is a term used to describe when one parent deliberately or unintentionally undermines the relationship between their child and the other parent. This includes making negative comments, withholding visitation, or interfering with scheduled visits.

Sadly, children are the ones who suffer the most from parental alienation syndrome. They often feel torn between their parents, leading to guilt, anger, and anxiety. If left unchecked, parental alienation can damage a child’s relationship with their parents irreparably.

Addressing the Impact of PAS

If you suspect that parental alienation is occurring, you must act quickly to protect your parental rights and your children. The first step is to seek the advice of an experienced Houston family law attorney who can help you navigate the legal system and protect your rights as a parent.

If one parent alienates the child and tries to mess up the other parent’s relationship with their kids, the court can step in and change the custody or visitation arrangements.

The Texas court might require the parents to go to counseling to stop this from happening again. That way, both parents can talk things out and figure out a better way to work together. If the parental alienation continues, however, the court might reduce or terminate their parental rights.

How a Houston Family Law Attorney Can Help

An attorney can help parents who are dealing with parental alienation. They can help you develop a strategy for protecting your children. By addressing the situation, gathering evidence to support your case, and presenting it in court, your attorney can protect your parental rights and safeguard your children from further harm.

As you look to rebuild your relationship with your child, an attorney can help you find the resources to address the issues that led to the alienation.

FAQs for Houston Parents

If you suspect that your child is experiencing parental alienation, you likely have many questions about what you can do to protect your child and your rights as a parent. Here are some frequently asked questions that may be helpful:

Q: What should I do if I suspect parental alienation?

A: If you suspect parental alienation is occurring, seek the advice of an experienced family law attorney. You should not attempt to handle this alone. A lawyer can protect your rights and explore all your legal options. They may need to gather evidence to support your claims to help you succeed in family court.

Q: What are the signs of Parental alienation?

A: The signs of PAS can be difficult to notice at first. Your child may not talk to you, make disparaging comments about you, or even refuse to visit. They may appear anxious or withdrawn around you when they weren’t before.  If you suspect that your child is experiencing PAS, it is important to document any behavior that you believe is contributing to the alienation.

Q: What are some examples of parental alienation?

A: In Texas, parents may engage in parental alienation in many ways, including:

  • Speaking ill of the other parent, using bad language, or making negative comments.
  • Discussing the divorce with the children and blaming the other parent, including sharing infidelity or financial issues.
  • Encouraging the child to refuse visitation with the other parent or extended family members.
  • Scheduling activities during visitation time that the child wants to do so that they do not spend time with the other parent.
  • Spoiling the child with gifts or letting them do things they can’t do at the other parent’s house to buy their favor.
  • Acting hurt or sad when the child enjoys visiting the other parent.
  • Denying the other parent access to the extracurricular activities schedule or important events.
  • Lying to the child about the other parent or telling them that their parent is dangerous.

Contact Our Houston Divorce Attorneys Today

If you feel your ex alienates your children and turns them against you, consult an experienced Houston divorce attorney at Moving Forward Divorce Lawyers. Our attorneys know how painful parental alienation can be, and we want to help you get your relationship with your children back on track. Call us at 713-589-4748 or fill out our confidential contact form to learn more about your legal options.



Free Consultation With a Houston Divorce Attorney
We Fight So You Don’t Have To.

You should seek the assistance of an experienced Texas family attorney who is familiar with the laws and can fight on your behalf for the things you want out of your divorce.

It is always a good idea to consult with an experienced Houston divorce attorney at Moving Forward Divorce Lawyers when going through a divorce. Filing the right paperwork and petitioning the court takes time, experience, and skill. If you make a mistake, you will lose money and valuable time. This could impact your future significantly. Call us at 713-589-4748 or fill out our confidential contact form to schedule a free consultation and learn more about your legal options.

Let Us Help You

Request a Free Consultation